Re: [h-e-w] Help needed in Maintaining Emacs w32 FAQ

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Help needed in Maintaining Emacs w32 FAQ
Date: 04 Oct 2005 23:23:05 -0500

On Monday, October 03, "Neil Mackie" <address@hidden> wrote:
>I would not consider a Wiki and an FAQ equivalent. Their structure is
>different, an FAQ is more like a long structured document, a Wiki more
>like a conventional web site with a wider variety of content.

I don't think we are talking about "a wiki".  We are
talking about devoting _portions_ of the _existing_
emacs wiki to discussing Windows-specific issues as
the current (but not up to date) FAQ document already
does.  The structure of the wiki is hierarchical.
That structure does not preclude including sections
very similar to those of the current FAQ.  Much of the
structure for including Windows-specific articles is
already present in today's wiki.  I see the
coexistence in the wiki of "a wider variety of
content" (beyond answers to the FAQs) as a virtue, not
a drawback.

I see no reason why a wiki cannot have FAQ pages with
lists of frequently asked questions for various
contexts (emacs on Windows not being the only one)
along with links to the wiki pages where those
questions are answered.  To me, the normal sort of FAQ
format seems unduly restrictive.  Combining the
approaches would allow the same documentation pages to
be used in both a reference mode and a FAQ mode.  I
think that such efficiency, along with the collective
approach to maintenance, improves the chances of the
documentation staying complete and up to date.

Regards,
  David V.