RE: [h-e-w] Help needed in Maintaining Emacs w32 FAQ

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Help needed in Maintaining Emacs w32 FAQ
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 08:31:29 -0700

    > > I don't remember much discussion that opposed the idea
    > > of folding help for emacs on Windows into the wiki.
    >
    > RMS once opposed the idea, but I do not remember if it was for the
    > Emacs-W32 FAQ, or the main Emacs FAQ. His opinion was that the FAQ is
    > expected by users to be accurate, so the FSF should have some degree
    > of control over its content. However if his comments were about the
    > main Emacs FAQ, then he might not consider it necessary to place the
    > same restrictions on the Emacs-W32 FAQ

Lennart wrote:

    My idea is that the wiki could be used for collection and
    discussion of ideas and data. This should then be transfered
    and maybe a bit rewritten to a FAQ of the current type.

and

    I would prefer a combined approach. Discussing the subject on the Wiki
    and then transfering the result to a more "authoratative" source. That
    way you do not have to go through the discussion to get the
    answers. You
    can also bundle the Emacs w32 FAQ with the windows port.

    The emacs w32  FAQ then of course should have links to the Wiki.

FWIW, I agree with Lennart. Use the strengths of the wiki and the strengths
of a FSF-managed, authoritative FAQ.