Re: [h-e-w] Unix utilities for Emacs on MS Windows

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Unix utilities for Emacs on MS Windows
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 20:37:53 +0100

Guy Gascoigne-Piggford wrote:

True, and one of the reasons why I use NT Emacs rather than the cygwin port is that it fully understands Windows sytle naming conventions and drive identifiers. Since everything has to be mounted under fake mount points with cygwin there really is quite a disjoint between the two. Certainly not insurmountable, but annoying all the same.

I was actually surprised when testing Cygwin now that I can do things like "cd d:/some/dir" and "cd d:\\some\\dir". But you mean that the Cygwin port of Emacs could not handle this path styles, or?

I've really not found a good free solution and so I still use MKS Toolkit.

Too bad ;-)

As an aside, the realy stumbling block that I have with cygwin is that it's pty handling screws with the way that Java, a the Java Service Wrapper and stdout interact. Basically the combination works just fun under MKS sh and cmd.exe and doesn't under cygwin. Very frustrating.

Can you please explain more in detail what does not work? Could you give examples?