Re: [h-e-w] Unix utilities for Emacs on MS Windows

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Unix utilities for Emacs on MS Windows
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 11:12:07 +0100

Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:

Not much feedback to give. Windows is a dangerous place to live in and
in order to avoid viruses and spyware I usually prefer being a non
administrative user. As a non administrative user, when emacs comes in
form of a zipped or tarred archive I can simply uncompress it and add
the resulting bin to my personal path. If I needed to run an installer,
before I would need to contact my IT department in order to become an
administrator.
I tried to write the installer in such a way that you do not need admin priv.

Moreover I am simply used to UNIX way of life where all the
configuration goes to plain text files under /etc or under your home in
form of dotfiles. Usually I am not aware of how much garbage an
installer puts in my registry, so better simply uncompress things and
run them being in full control of their configuration.
That makes me remember someone wanted a list of all changes to the registry. I forgot to make such a list (which will be very short).

My way: Getting a compiled emacs archive, uncompressing it to C:\emacs,
adding C:\emacs\bin to my path, setting HOME to C:\cygwin\home\ismaeval2
and putting there my .emacs, adding a shortcut to gnuclienw.exe to my
SendTo folder, and that's it!
You need to start gnuserv too yourself I guess when you do it this way. For me as a typical command line user it is also important to make it possible to start editing a new file from the command line so I add that also in the installer. (And I add a shortcut to the SendTo folder too;-)

Why do you add Emacs to your path? Is that needed outside of Emacs?

Hope this makes sense. :)
Yes, it surely does. When I wrote EmacsW32 I tried to target both new and old users, but that is not very easy ;-)