Re: [h-e-w] Unix utilities for Emacs on MS Windows

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Unix utilities for Emacs on MS Windows
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 14:13:38 +0000

Richard M. Heiberger wrote:

1.  How do I find the current process-coding system?  I didn't see any
variables or functions that give that information.  I found functions to change
it but not to give the current value.
describe-coding-system displays it if you accept the default (current choices)

2. In the situation above, PATH did not include cygwin.  I added it with
     PATH=c:/cygwin/bin/:$PATH
but it still wasn't correctly recognized:

/cygdrive/c/HOME/rmh$ PATH=c:/cygwin/bin/:$PATH
Once you are in Cygwin, you must use cygwin paths (/cygdrive/cygwin/bin, or /bin). Since : is a separator, c:/cygwin/bin/ is interpreted by Cygwin as the two paths "c" and "/cygwin/bin".

But one of the bash startup files should set the path correctly for Cygwin programs. Perhaps the HOME directory is different when running under Emacs, so it cannot find the startup files?