[h-e-w] Working with 16 bit ascii text files?

From: Raymond Zeitler
Subject: [h-e-w] Working with 16 bit ascii text files?
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:16:49 -0500

I'm using GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195) of 2004-03-10 on
NYAUMO on Windows 2000 SP4.  I have trouble editing certain files that
seem to contain 16 bit characters.  The string "string" shows up like
this: "address@hidden@address@hidden@address@hidden@g".  The ^@ is the null
character.  Also, line
endings have address@hidden

You can generate a file like this by saving a System Summary as a text
file in Computer Management.

Emacs interprets these files as Unix.  What I end up doing is invoking
query-replace on the file to replace the ^@ and the ^M with nothing.

But aren't these files using some sort of 16 bit character set?
Shouldn't Emacs handle this better?  I've never been able to find an
appropriate character set for C-x <RET> f.  For example, manually
choosing any of the mule-utf-16 sets changes nothing.

TIA for any help you can provide.