RE: [h-e-w] Re: sending filenames from command-line

From: rob . davenport
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Re: sending filenames from command-line
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 08:33:23 -0400

Mathias: "But it's cool! :) And, it will work for more advanced
cases where you need more parameters that might include
backslashesh."

Definitely cool.  (They have added a bunch of cool stuff to CMD
over the years.  Makes me wonder what it'll be like to use Monad,
er, Powershell, in Vista.  Tried the beta briefly but didn't
get around to doing much with it.)

And you're right - it might be better to be prepared for other
situations, like your ediff example.

Franz: "Although not documented, you can use this extension to
environment variable expansion everywhere in a cmd shell, not
only within the set command. Therefore, your macro can be
simplified to:
dired=c:\sys\emacs\bin\gnuclientw.exe -sqFe "(dired \"%CD:\=/%\")"

That is cool!  It works and I'll use it.  Thanks!

I was still really wondering what the layers were that are
involved when sending a string from the command-line to Emacs
and how they alter parameters.  CMD's 'readline'-like layer,
gnuclient's parameter parsing, Emacs' parsing, etc. and who
could be translating backslashes and requiring quoting ("I need
how many backslashes do I need to pass one in? Four?").
But if this %var:x=y% expansion will work I may not need to
worry.

Thanks again, Mathias, Franz.

Rob