Re: [h-e-w] RE: C-x C-f *.txt RET (WAS: how to close all buffers at once

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] RE: C-x C-f *.txt RET (WAS: how to close all buffers at once?)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 21:26:02 +0300

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:09:29 +0900
>
> > It looks like a non-trivial change to dired.c is required.  The
> > function directory-files used to glob wildcards converts the wildcards
> > to a regexp and then matches that regexp against each file in the
> > directory.  To force it to work case-insensitively, we need to pass a
> > char-table for case-folding to compile_pattern (called by
> > directory_files_internal), but what char-table to use here?  The
> > pattern and the file names could use non-ASCII characters.
>
> > Handa-san, could you help with advice here?  Thanks.
>
> I haven't read the previous mails in this thread, but, if we
> need a compiled pattern for case-folding search/match, it
> seems that we have to pass Vascii_canon_table (or
> buffer_defaults.case_canon_table, I think they are the same)
> to compile_pattern.

But is the buffer's default good enough for file names?  We are
talking about case-insensitive handling of file names here, and file
names are (usually) encoded differently than the locale's default text
files, AFAIK.

So the question is, how to get hold of the case_canon_table suitable
for the default file-name-coding-system.

TIA