Re: [h-e-w] setting HOME

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] setting HOME
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 19:00:09 +0200

Norman Fuchs wrote:
I've been using an older version of emacs for some time now (under Windows XP), and I have used auctex (MikTeX) without much trouble. However, I noticed that there is a preview-latex system now available. So, I downloaded the pre-compiled version of Emacs + AucTeX

emacs+auctex-w32-2006-05-14.zip

from the website http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/download-for-windows.html.

After unpacking and overwriting my old emacs files, I tried to run it, but when the emacs window came up, there was an error message

Error (initialization): User  has no home directory

Can someone help me find a way to set this (and possibly other required) environment variables so I can avoid the error message? As a kludge, I inserted this line at the top of my .emacs file

(setenv "HOME" "C:/")

but of course the error comes up anyway, since it's generated before the .emacs file is read. Furthermore, the README file for this distribution refers to an INSTALL file, but there is none.

I think you may need a newer version of CVS Emacs:

   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsW32#toc12

As you can see the problem was fixed at the end of May. I believe you can download the latest version of EmacsW32+Emacs and install that over your current installation to fix your problem.