RE: [h-e-w] Emacsw32 and spell-checking

From: PaulBowman
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Emacsw32 and spell-checking
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 14:56:53 +0100

Hi Eli, thanks for replying (sorry for delay I've been away). My
original complaint was more to do with the lack of any obvious
documentation in the EmacsW32 package (which, if I understand the
concept, is an attempt to make as near as possible a simple windows
installer package for Emacs) as to where to go to get either ispell or
an ispell-compliant analogue such as aspell and then how to install it.

I sent the following to Lennart as my solution:
--------------
Hi Lennart,

I agree that it is not practical to bundle any solution into EmacsW32,
given the size of necessary dictionary files (and of course each
individual will want a different dictionary relevant to them) but the
documentation needs to be clearer.

Aspell does seem worryingly out of date, plus the documentation on
EmacsWiki is incomplete - i.e. the steps should be

1. Locate and download pre-compiled 4 windows packages for aspell and
relevant dictionary from http://aspell.net/win32/

2. Run aspell installer then dictionary installer

3. add <install location>\Aspell\bin to PATH

4. add (setq-default ispell-program-name "aspell") to your .emacs

5. restart emacs

I would update the wiki, but I am really late and must rush.

Thanks,

Paul