RE: [h-e-w] EmacsW32, gnuserv, pathes in .emacs

From: Nat Goodspeed
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] EmacsW32, gnuserv, pathes in .emacs
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:37:57 -0400

At 11:13 AM 7/13/2006, Stephen F. Heffner wrote:

> their default key bindings were comfortable: common
> tasks took ONE finger.

FWIW, there are those of us who are fast touch typists, and we don't want to
remove our fingers from the main keyboard; it slows things down a lot.
I'll grant that the default Emacs key bindings aren't intuitive; but they have
the major advantage of (mostly) sticking to the touch-typing area of the
keyboard.

Very true. But (a) it actively discourages newcomers, and (b) I still suspect that the reason has more to do with ASCII terminals than with fast typists... Time for me to shut up on this. My point is simply that keyboard customization is even more important for emacs than for most other software. It would be a wonderful thing if we could introduce special support to make that easy for newbies.