Re: [h-e-w] Merging Win32 documentation with Emacs main docs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Merging Win32 documentation with Emacs main docs
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 06:17:02 +0300

> From: David Vanderschel <address@hidden>
> Date: 16 Jul 2006 13:18:47 -0500
>
> >So the inelegance is that you cannot click on the reference and get
> >the right node of an Info manual presented to you?  If so, then I
> >guess it depends on your Web browser; if you use Emacs, for example,
> >the problem doesn't exist.
>
> I am still perplexed by Eli's reaction to this.  Even
> if I were using emacs w3 as my browser, a link in the
> Wiki could still not point to my copy - both because
> my copy is not HTML and because the Wiki does not know
> its location.

A properly formatted reference to an Info manual will cause Emacs to
display it, even though it's not HTML.

In other words, if Emacs can easily resolve a reference to an Info
manual from within another Info manual, it can also resolve such a
reference from an HTML page.

> Let me say that I am imagining a scenario in which one
> is browsing some presentation in the Wiki which might
> say something like, "For information on how to ____,
> check the [emacs manual].", where "[emacs manual]"
> corresponds to a link to a specific relevant
> subsection of the manual.  If you click the link in
> the Wiki, the specific subsection of the manual shows
> up in your browser.

That is the same scenario I was thinking about, except that if the
reference is to an Info manual, Emacs shows the referenced part of it
in the Info mode.

> The location in the manual to
> which such a link goes can be more precise than just a
> node of the manual, as the HTML version of the manual
> often provides multiple named anchor tags per node.

Info supports anchors as well.