Re: [h-e-w] new user keybindings

From: Guy Gascoigne - Piggford
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] new user keybindings
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:14:50 -0700

I'd have to say that I think that Lennart is right here.  I learned
Emacs about 15 or so years ago, happily managing with the default key
bindings on every platform that I used, but nowadays my default desktop
is Windows XP, I switched to the CUA keybindings simply because it made
for a much better experience switching between a various applications
(and because personally I actually find them easier).

I see no reason why emacs should have to make simple things harder, if a
large percentage of possible new users already know a popular set of
keybindings, why shouldn't there be a simple option to setup and find
them, and why can't this be documented?  I don't think that many new
users care about learning the "Emacs way" of doing things or the "CUA
way", they just want to learn how to use Emacs with as short a learning
curve as possible and if they can apply knowledge that they already have
then that process is going to be quicker.

Seriously, I don't know what a standard installation of emacs is anyway.
I've never bothered to use one, the only reason Emacs is on any of the
Unix machines here is because I installed it and then promptly pointed
it at my .emacs file.  The other Unix users here are all vi fans and
just don't have the time or inclination to learn a new editor with a
notoriously steep learning curve (especially since vi is everywhere and
emacs isn't).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that people learn a very customized
version of Emacs anyway, I might not worry about teaching them to rebind
keys per se, but I might well want to tell them that there are
alternative binding that they might well find easier.

Guy

--
Guy Gascoigne-Piggford
www.wyrdrune.com