Re: [h-e-w] Merging Win32 documentation with Emacs main docs

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Merging Win32 documentation with Emacs main docs
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 23:15:45 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Furthermore, even if the original person
who suggests some new documentation does not get it
quite right, others will come along and fix it.

This method cannot guarantee that this fixing improves quality.  Do
any of the Emacs maintainers read the Wiki and actively participate in
its maintenance?  If not, I seriously doubt the quality and
correctness of the information there.
I have been hesitating a couple of days to answer to this. However I think that this touches important and interesting issues so I will try.

Every way of doing things has their own problems, but they also have their own benefits. A major benefit for a wiki is that the threshold to contribute is low. You may of course say that this is a drawback -- too. That is natural I believe, the two sides of a coin.

Anyway a consequence of this is that the information on the wiki sometimes tend to be forgotten and aged. If you agree to this then you might think of how to solve this problem and still have the benefits of the wiki. Perhaps a cooperation of some kind? But then a main problem is the resources. Can cooperation be done in such a way that is does not drain resources? Can it even contribute new resources?

I am not at all sure about the answer to these questions. But I believe that only experience will tell which ideas actually can work.