[h-e-w] RE: new user keybindings - xkeymacs

From: Raymond Zeitler
Subject: [h-e-w] RE: new user keybindings - xkeymacs
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 12:23:36 -0400

Whoa!  I've been miss-quoted.  I believe it was "Richard M. Heiberger"
<address@hidden> who wrote the two paragraphs that you attributed to me.

But thanks for the recommendation anyway.

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:53:33 -0400
From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] RE: new user keybindings - xkeymacs
To: address@hidden

and Raymond wrote:
>I have been following this discussion from a distance and therefore
>tried out the CUA bindings just to see what they do.  My interest is
>protective.  I am forever typing C-w in my university's email window
>and then the whole window vanishes.
>
>My first reaction was negative.  When I highlighted some text and then
>typed C-x C-f to find a new file my higlighted region vanished.
>I would rather use two different key-bindings---emacs and other---then
>go through the hassle of undoing unintended text kills.  What is
>the recommended way to protect regular emacs users from this problem?
>What is the way to tell new users with the CUA bindings about the many,

>many emacs commands that begin with C-x?

While maybe not the perfect solution I use Oishi's excellent
XKeymacs utility on Windows to give me Emacs style keybindings
for many commands *in regular Windows applications*.
[snip]