Re: [h-e-w] sending mail and starttls

From: rob . davenport
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] sending mail and starttls
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 08:33:51 -0400

Just for the record, Hans got some help on his question about sending SMTP
mail
and starttls.

Rob

----- Forwarded by Rob Davenport/USINY/ABB on 08/07/2006 08:40 AM -----

08/04/2006 01:23 PM

Hans Halvorson <address@hidden>

Sent by Hans Halvorson <address@hidden>

Dear Rob,

Thank you for following up about this.  I got a reply, but from the
ding.gnus list, rather than from the help-emacs-windows list.  I will
paste the reply in below, as well as my followup.  In short, the
problem is solved!  The problem boils down to the fact that the
command

(signal-process (process-id process) 'SIGALRM)

does not work with Win32 Emacs, even with Cygwin also installed.  But
one can mimic that with:

(call-process "c:\\cygwin\\bin\\kill.exe" nil nil nil
                                     "-ALRM" (format "%d" (process-id
process)))

or in some other way, e.g. by using 'shell-command'.

It seems to me that this is worth getting into the help-emacs-windows
archive.  Do you want to reply to my original message with this
information?

Thanks,
Hans

--Begin Forwarded Message--

> I did not exactly attempt the procedure you describe below.  But I did
> the following instead:

> I looked at the code of the "original" starttls.el, and used it to
> make the following modifications to a recent version (from Emacs
> 22.0.50 CVS) of starttls.el.

> 1. Added:

> (defcustom starttls-kill-program "c:\\cygwin\\bin\\kill"
>   "External kill command to send SIGALRM to starttls."
>   :group 'starttls)

> 2. Replaced all three instances of:

> (signal-process (process-id process) 'SIGALRM)

> with

> (call-process starttls-kill-program nil nil nil
>                                    "-ALRM" (format "%d" (process-id
process)))

> With these modifications, the most recent version of starttls.el
> worked fine with Cygwin and gnutls-cli 1.0.25.  (I am using
> Wanderlust, but I assume that this would also work for gnus.)

> Thank you very much for your help.

> Hans

> At Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:04:41 +0900,
> Daiki Ueno wrote:
> >
> > Hi,

> > > I'm using the version of starttls.el in Emacs CVS 22.0.50.
> >
> > > I am having some trouble with this version of starttls.el in
> > > interaction with gnutls-cli on cygwin (Windows XP).  No mail is sent
> > > (the session hangs), and the trace of the smtp session always ends
> > > with "Ready to start TLS".  So, I guess that starttls.el is not
> > > sending SIGALRM to gnutls-cli to tell it to negotiate.
> >
> > > I am curious if I have caused this problem by failing to set some
> > > relevant variable, or if the current version of starttls.el is not
> > > compatible with cygwin.
> >
> > I think "the original" starttls will work on cygwin, which has the
> > following change not installed in either Gnus or Emacs.
> >
> > 2002-02-28  Jun-ya Kato <address@hidden>
> >
> >              * starttls.el (starttls-kill-program): New user option.
> >              (starttls-negotiation-by-kill-program): New user option.
> >              (starttls-negotiate): Send SIGALRM by kill.exe if
> >              `starttls-negotiation-by-kill-program' is non-nil.
> >
> > Can you test it?
> >
> > $ cvs -z9 -d :pserver:address@hidden:/cvs/root co starttls
> > $ cd starttls
> > $ ./bootstrap
> > $ ./configure && make && make install
> >
> > If it is still useful, I'll ask Kato-san to assign the copyright to
FSF.

> > Regards,
> > --
> > Daiki Ueno