Re: [h-e-w] expand-file-name leaves forward slashes

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] expand-file-name leaves forward slashes
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 20:36:52 -0400

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> Stephen Leake wrote:
>> I'm now the ada-mode maintainer, and I'm testing the various ada-mode
>> functions on "pure Windows"; using the DOS shell instead of Cygwin.
>>
>> It's not working, because all of the filenames have forward slashes as
>> directory separators!
>>
>> To be specific, this:
>>
>> (expand-file-name "c:/foo/bar")
>>
>> is supposed to return
>>
>> "c:\foo\bar"
>>
> No, it is supposed to return "c:/foo/bar", since Emacs uses forward
> slashes everywhere to avoid confusion with backslashes as escape
> characters in elisp strings.

Ah. The help for expand-file-name says:

    Convert filename NAME to absolute, and canonicalize it.

I thought "canonicalize" meant "convert to standard OS notation". But
apparently it means "convert to standard Emacs notation".

> The function you are looking for is `convert-standard-filename'.

Yes, that does seem to be what I want. Thanks.

I'll see if I can convince ada-mode to use it when it when it needs to :).

--
-- Stephe