Re: [h-e-w] expand-file-name leaves forward slashes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] expand-file-name leaves forward slashes
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 19:56:52 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Stephen Leake <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 05:32:25 -0400
>
> > Btw, are you sing "M-x compile" to run the "build" command?
>
> No, C-c C-c
>
> > If not, why not?
>
> Shorter keystroke.
>
> But perhaps you mean "are you using the function 'compile'"

Yes.

> So perhaps the explicit 'cd' is not necessary, if 'compile' takes care
> of it, in the *compilation* buffer. I'll check ...
>
> Yes, I'm getting _two_ cd commands. Apparently one from the wrapper,
> and one from compile.
>
> Hmm. On further investigation, the first "command" is not sent to the
> shell; compile-internal does:
>
>       (setq default-directory thisdir)
>       (insert "cd " thisdir "\n" command "\n")

Yes, it just creates an illusion of sending `cd' to the shell, and
instead does the same itself.

> So I don't need the explicit 'cd' command.

Exactly.

I believe this should entirely remove the need for mirroring the
slashes.  If you still need that at some point, I'd advise to do it as
close to the actual command invocation as possible.  That is, avoid
using backslash-style file names in Lisp code as much as you can.