Re: [h-e-w] EmacsW32 filename completion using space bar

From: Nat Goodspeed
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] EmacsW32 filename completion using space bar
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 09:36:19 -0500

At 08:34 AM 12/9/2006, David Vanderschel wrote:

On Saturday, December 09, "Lennart Borgman" <address@hidden> wrote:
>The reason that space no longer work for file name
>completion is that file names may contain spaces.

That was no problem in version 20, which I am still
running.  E.g., if I type "c:/Prog ", it completes out
to "c:/Program".  If I then type another space, that
just echoes, as there is a directory name with a space
there.  If I then type yet another space, it completes
out to "c:/Program Files/".  This seems to be a
natural and friendly way for it to behave.  Since it
did so in earlier versions and apparently does no
longer, I would venture that it is now broken.

  Hmm. I'm running 21.3. Would you please try this experiment?

Use C-x C-f and type:

$USERPROFILE/My<space>

as if you were about to type "My Documents".

When I do that -- which is the way I usually navigate to "My Documents" -- on typing the space character, I get a bonk and the message "Text is read-only". Then it displays "C:\Documents and Settings\me\My" -- WITHOUT a space. Even though by now I know to expect the bonk and the spurious error message, I must type two spaces: "My<space><space>Documents" to get where I'm going.

With respect, that behavior feels broken to me. Perhaps it could be fixed without sacrificing the use of space as a completion character -- but I always use TAB myself, so I'd gladly make that trade.