Re: [h-e-w] no C-spc

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] no C-spc
Date: 22 Jan 2007 19:57:52 -0600

On Monday, January 22, "Ryan Krauss" <address@hidden> wrote:
>I am having trouble with my emacs install.  I cannot
>use C-spc to set the mark.  ...

I have seen similar symptoms which were specific to
the hardware.  In such cases, I assume the problem is
in the keyboard itself or the BIOS.  Since C-space
does not mean anything to Windows, it would not be
surprising if machines that don't see it made it into
the wild.  (I have a few other relatively obscure
key-combinations which don't come through.)

Ryan, if it does turn out that your hardware is
causing the problem, then, as a workaround in the mean
time, I would suggest that you bind some other key
combination to set-mark-command.  Actually, C-@ is
already so bound; but you would probably want
something that is easier to hit.  OTOH, if you can get
used to C-@; that would work with other folks'
installations.

Regards,
  David V.