RE: [h-e-w] EmacsW32; tramp trouble with Tru64

From: Phil Betts
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] EmacsW32; tramp trouble with Tru64
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 12:30:57 -0000

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote on Thursday, March 01, 2007 6:24 PM::

> Phil Betts wrote:
>> Nelson E. Ingersoll wrote on Thursday, March 01, 2007 5:31 PM::
>>
>>> Lennart,
>>>
>>>    Sorry.  I normally use the Emacs+EmacsW32 from OurComments.org
>>> and it is the patched version.  Currently I am using the version
>>> published 2007.02.25.  I don't really believe it is a problem with
>>> the EmacsW32 put out by OurComments.org per se.  I believe it is an
>>> issue between Tramp and Tru64.  I was hoping that someone here
>>> might have knowledge of the problem or a suggestion.
>>>

>> It works for me using:
>> EmacsNT version:
>>  GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2005-06-26 on
>> NONIQPC Tramp version: 2.0.36
>>
>> when connecting to Tru64 v5.1.
>>
>> However, I do have problems when running emacs on a SuSE linux box,
>> because that version of ftp sets the EPSV mode, and the Tru64 ftpd
>> doesn't seem to handle it.
>>
>> Is it possible that the ftp.exe you are using is doing the same
>> thing?
>

> I would like to know what ftp program both of you use. I have had
> trouble with the ftp program that comes with MS Windows.
>
> I saw now that GnuWin32 contains an ftp program in InetUtils:
>
>    http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/inetutils.htm
>
> Could you please both test that program (preferably with an unpatched
> version of Emacs 22)?

I'm using an ftp.exe that was recommended with the original EmacsNT.  It
was the only one I could get to work reliably.  I'm sorry I don't have
any more info, but my guess is it was a BSD port based on the source
control IDs:

 @(#)cmds.c      5.18 (Berkeley) 4/20/89
 @(#)cmdtab.c    5.9 (Berkeley) 3/21/89
 @(#)domacro.c   1.6 (Berkeley) 2/28/89
 @(#)ftp.c       5.28 (Berkeley) 4/20/89
 @(#) Copyright (c) 1985, 1989 Regents of the University of California.
 @(#)main.c      based on 5.13 (Berkeley) 3/14/89
 @(#)ruserpass.c 5.1 (Berkeley) 3/1/89

$ ls -l /c/Emacs/bin/ftp.exe
-rwx------+ 1 Guest None 114688 Dec 23  1997 /c/Emacs/bin/ftp.exe*

It wasn't distributed with source.  I could PM you a copy of the exe.
I'll try to test the gnuwin32 version later today, but I'm guessing
it'll have the same problems as the linux ftp because they'll be
essentially the same program.

The root of the problem appears to be that the Tru64 version of ftpd
accepts the EPSV command without properly supporting the semantics of
the mode.  A mechanism using .netrc to disable this mode on a per-site
basis would be ideal.

If I don't get chance to test the gnuwin32 version today, the next
chance I have will be Monday, so don't wait up.

Phil