Re: [h-e-w] pb with the use of Merge

From: LaurentHelpEmacsWind
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] pb with the use of Merge
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 10:09:55 +0200

Eli Zaretskii a écrit :

Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 21:54:02 +0200
From: LaurentHelpEmacsWind <address@hidden>

   I use GNU Emacs 21.3 and I have a problem when I try to merge two files with the Merge
menu. When I type "n" in the control panel to find the first difference I have
the following message :

/cygdrive/d/cygwin/bin/diff3: subsidiary program `/usr/bin/diff' not found

Since I can't install any software on my C: disk I installed emacs in D:\emacs directory and the cygwin programs in d:\cygwin and I added "d:\cygwin\bin" in my PATH.

You installed a Cygwin port of Diffutils, but your Emacs is a native
Windows program, not a Cygwin program, so it doesn't understand the
/cygdrive/d/ stuff and the intricacies of the way Cygwin ``mounts'' a
certain directory as `/usr/bin'.  I suggest to uninstall the Cygwin
utilities (or remove them from PATH visible to Emacs), and instead
install native Windows ports.  One place you can find such native
Windows ports is here:

 http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html

Thank you very much for the explanation. I didn't know this technical aspect and I understood that it was necessary to have cygwin in order to use emacs. I will do what you suggest to do.