RE: Re: [h-e-w] pb with the use of Merge

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Re: [h-e-w] pb with the use of Merge
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 06:32:37 -0700

> ediff is worth the price of admission.
> emacs needs an exernal diff, and cygwin provides it.
>
> >>As its name suggests, the cygwin-mount.el library allows emacs
> >>to understand cygwin mount points....
> >>For me, running Windows without cygwin would be unthinkable.

As one more data point, I too happily use Emacs on Windows and Cygwin. I
don't use the Cygwin build of Emacs (I tried it once, long ago, and was
disappointed, but I don't remember the details).

I don't claim that using Cygwin is better; I've never tried the native
Windows tools ports. I'm sure that Eli's points are valid. But
`cygwin-mount.el' makes Cygwin play well enough with Emacs for me.

I also use `setup-cygwin.el', which provides a few other nice-to-haves:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/setup-cygwin.el. The file header
references Markus Hoenika paper "SGML for Windows NT", which you might also
find useful.

HTH.