RE: [h-e-w] pb with the use of Merge

From: Phil Betts
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] pb with the use of Merge
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 17:58:04 +0100

LaurentHelpEmacsWind wrote on Friday, May 04, 2007 11:31 AM::

> Phil Betts a écrit :
>

>> For me, running Windows without cygwin would be unthinkable.
>>

> All right, I will try that.
> May you give me some examples about the fact that it is for you
> unthinkable to work with windows without cygwin ?

Well, I program on Unix for a living, and when you're used to
the sort of power that bash and the common Unix utilities provide,
trying to live with cmd and the half-baked MS "equivalents" of
Unix utilities just won't work.

E.g. last night, I had 200+ photos in directory "original" that
needed to be resized, leaving the resized copies in directory
"smaller".

In bash, I just did this:

for i in original/*.jpg;do convert -resize 50% $i smaller/`basename $i`;done

Try doing that in one line in cmd.

It's amazing just how quickly one can do powerful things on
the command line in bash with the Unix utils.

By contrast, it's amazing how hard it is to force cmd (or Windows
GUI programs) to do anything really useful, unless the person who
wrote it consciously coded for that task.