Re: [h-e-w] pb with the use of Merge

From: Nat Goodspeed
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] pb with the use of Merge
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 16:28:15 -0400

At 12:35 AM 5/5/2007, Stephen Leake wrote:

Others have pointed out the GnuWin32 port of diff.

However, Cygwin has _many_ tools that GnuWin32 does not.

  For me, the clincher is cygwin's X server.
I often need to work with Linux and *BSD boxes as well as Windows. It's true that I can ssh to those and run emacs in a plain terminal window. However, the .emacs file I use everywhere has many, many extra key bindings involving the function keys as well as most M-alphabetics, and a plain terminal window doesn't give me access to all of those. When I run my remote emacs in a cygwin X window, though, it's nearly as powerful as my local NT emacs. (C-M-F10 seems to get eaten, but that's about the only limitation I've found.) Plus which, I can freely open additional remote emacs frames using normal emacs commands. I also like that cygwin's X server's default window manager makes the remote windows peers of local application windows. I've used a couple of different commercial Windows X servers in past years, but frankly I like cygwin's better than any of them.