Re: [h-e-w] pb with the use of Merge

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] pb with the use of Merge
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 23:25:15 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Stephen Leake <address@hidden>
>>
>> The reason this works is that Cygwin mounts / at the installation
>> directory, and any directory under / does not use the /cygdrive
>> notation. So if the installation directory is d:/, then any directory
>> d:/foo/bar will be shown as /foo/bar in Cygwin, rather than
>> /cygdrive/d/foo/bar. And the native Win32 Emacs will understand it.
>
> I think this trick will work only as long as you work with files from
> the same drive (D: in this case).

Yes.

> But anyway, I think such tinkering is unjustified,

"tinkering"? Just making the proper installation choice. The advice
against it in the Cygwin installer is just wrong, and should be changed.

> because you will not need it if cygwin-mount.el does its job well.

I need it for other tools as well. For example, I have an Ada compiler
that expects Win32 paths, but I use Cygwin make. So make has to output
Win32 paths, not Cygwin paths. I have tried to insert 'cygpath -w'
whereever it is needed, but could never get that to work. Mounting "/"
at "c:/" works.

Another reason for using bash, rather than cmd; I need bash on other
boxes, so this way I only have to learn one shell.

--
-- Stephe