[h-e-w] syntax highlighting and remote editing (not what you think)

From: Eric S. Johansson
Subject: [h-e-w] syntax highlighting and remote editing (not what you think)
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 00:05:46 -0400

I'm getting ready to release a Python-based web application framework. The reason I'm releasing it is because I've been mucking about with it for the past couple of years. Why this instead of some other? Simple. I'm disabled, and I've built a system that is mostly handicapped friendly because its markup notation is usable with speech recognition.

if you want to know more, I'll send you the URL with a sales pitch later after I finish writing what will pass for documentation for quite a while.

The reason why Emacs is involved is that I'd like to try and do some form of color coding to help deal with nesting and keyword identification. see:

-----------vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv------------------
[Heading Akasha installation instructions]
[top [style background-color: red;] akasha: we are special]
[left [style background-color: green;] blah blah yadda yadda woof woof]
[Heading [level 3] installation overview]

Installation of akasha involves installing three Python modules,
creating a small number of directories, and modifying Apache.  None of
these steps are particularly difficult in the installation process
should take under 30 minutes for a person with good working knowledge
of Apache and a Linux systems.

The following steps will be covered in greater detail in sections below:

[bullet Installing Python components]
[Indent [bullet multi_auth]
[Bullet cookie_authentication]
[Bullet akasha]]
[Bullet Creating workspace]
[Bullet Configuring apache]

[heading [level 2] Detailed installation]

some of the sillier bits are because I was still tweaking with some cascading style sheets errors.

What I would like to do at first is simply highlight [xxxx markers in two different colors. One color for primary keywords and the other for argument keywords. further on, I would like to mark brackets in matching colors depending on level of nesting because once you get beyond two or maybe three layers, it gets really difficult to track who belongs to whom. For example, in the bullet list, the [] belonging to indent would be one color and all of the [bullet ] sets would have a different color. I'm not sure if the second layer would be useful or be too much information. One of the problems I do run into is that I get confused with a number of braces needed and where. having Emacs give me some hints would be nice

Another challenge I'm facing is how to edit these files. I was using a text area but that really gets old when you are used Emacs. there is also the issue of turning on the editor for a page if you don't want any clues given to the outside world. It would be nice to be able to just drag the URL to Emacs and have it bring up the raw text. I thought about using tramp but given that I would need to put in some sort of privilege change as part of the data request, I'm not so comfortable. if multiple people are editing, I want some form of accountability which is why I want to go through my CGI for fetching and storing data.

Yes, I do know these things mean work. the question is how much and can I use the Python extension to Emacs to implement remote editing on Windows?