[h-e-w] NTEmacs 22.1 on Win 98SE

From: Juergen Fenn
Subject: [h-e-w] NTEmacs 22.1 on Win 98SE
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:08:56 +0200

Hello,

I have just installed NTEmacs 22.1 on my Windows 98SE box side-by-side
v21.3 (I unzipped the archive, then installed Emacs in
C\:Programme\Emacs\emacs221, and adjusted my .emacs file so that there
are no more error messages, as I did with the earlier versions).

These points have made me go back to v21.3 for working:

- As opposed to v21.3 the Windows explorer dialogue does not appear in
  22.1 when selecting File|open; you have to input the file name in
  minibuffer or use the speedbar (which I don't want to use for it is
  a rather crude interface indeed). I understand that I am not the
  only one missing the Windows dialogue here. Is there a solution to
  this?

- My mouse cursor does not behave as expected. When selecting a menu
  item and hovering over the drop-down menu the cursor is sometimes
  displayed as an "input cursor", ie., a vertical line as when
  hovering over text in 22.1, sometimes it is displayed as a "hand"
  like in a WWW browser windows when hovering over a URL link. This
  behaviour can be reproduced.

- The all new drag and drop feature does not work at all.

- Running v22.1 sometimes makes Windows explorer freeze or even
  crash. I also could not open the start menu once, it just froze with
  the Start button appearing pressed in, but did not open. I had to
  reset and restart my system manually.

Could it be that this is a problem on Win98 only? I could not find
anything in the Windows Readme nor in the Emacs manual. Perhaps v22.1
has not been tested sufficiently on Win98?

Or could it be that something from my .emacs still refers to the
parallel installation of v21.3, triggering these effects?

Could this be due to changes in functions or variables called or set
in the .emacs file?

Hm...

All in all, I think the earlier version was much better integrated
into a Windows environment and it really ran rock-steady for hours (I
wrote my dissertation thesis on 21.3 with AUCTeX all day long for
months). However, if you please could solve the above-mentioned points
I think this could still become a good start for the new version on
Windows...

Regards,
Jürgen.