Re: [h-e-w] Re: NTEmacs 22.1 on Win 98SE

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: NTEmacs 22.1 on Win 98SE
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 01:17:26 +0300

> From: Juergen Fenn <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 22:59:37 +0200
>
> >> - As opposed to v21.3 the Windows explorer dialogue does not appear in
> >>   22.1 when selecting File|open; you have to input the file name in
> >>   minibuffer or use the speedbar (which I don't want to use for it is
> >>   a rather crude interface indeed). I understand that I am not the
> >>   only one missing the Windows dialogue here. Is there a solution to
> >>   this?
> >
> > This works as expected on Windows 2K and XP.  If you can debug this
> > and tell us what goes wrong, we will be happy to fix it.  None of the
> > maintainers of the Windows port of Emacs use or have good access to
> > Windows 9x, so it's not a surprise there are bugs there.
>
> The latter was my guess, too. However, I suggest you add a notice to
> the Windows readme file to make clear that Windows 9x is still
> supported, but not as well tested as the more recent flavours of
> Windows.
>
> I have sent a bug report on this point.
>
> If there is more I can do to help you fix this would you please let me
> know. I would like to help you sort these problems out.

Best you could do would be to step with a debugger into the code that
pops the file selector dialog and see what happens there.  Can you do
that?

> >> - The all new drag and drop feature does not work at all.
> >
> > Could you please describe in detail what happens? (assuming something
> > happens at all)
>
> 1. I select some text.
> 2. This piece of text is marked in yellow as selected.
> 3. I place the cursor above the selected text and press the left mouse
>    button.
> 4. I try to drag this text to a different part of the buffer.
> 5. More text I hover over when dragging is selected in yellow. There
>    is no dragging. There is not dropping either when I release the
>    left mouse button.

This doesn't work for me, either.  Is it supposed to work on Emacs?  I
didn't think it did.

> >> Or could it be that something from my .emacs still refers to the
> >> parallel installation of v21.3, triggering these effects?
> >
> > You could try running "emacs -Q" for a while to test this
> > possibility.
>
> Well, this is hard as I depend on external settings for running AUCTeX
> and Gnus... without these there is not much useful I can do with
> Emacs... ;-)

You could start with "emacs -Q", and then evaluate only the relevant
portions of your .emacs one by one.