Re: [h-e-w] Re: Unable to use Terminus bdf font under ntemacs 23

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: Unable to use Terminus bdf font under ntemacs 23
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:49:30 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 12:14:07 +0100
>> From: "Phil Betts" <address@hidden>
>>
>> This is purely a guess, but it looks like a native Windows function
>> is being called to display a string of characters, and that function
>> doesn't understand BDF fonts.
>>

> Jason should have the definitive opinion, but AFAIK the Windows port
> includes full support for BDF fonts.  You can clearly see it in the
> sources.

I hadn't replied before, because I haven't had time to download the font
and try for myself. Initially I thought it might be because the font is
iso10686 encoded, but then I saw the report that the character under the
cursor is visible, which means the the font is being parsed correctly by
the BDF code. Perhaps it is a face problem (white on white, etc), but
then why only that font?

>> This may also explain why using ClearType and/or italics can cause
>> fragments of characters to be left behind if they are being drawn
>> using a Windows function, then erased by an internal function with a
>> slightly different idea of the rendered glyph's size/position.
>>

> You will see in etc/PROBLEMS that the reason is different: Windows
> lies about the metrics of some fonts when ClearType is in effect.

Yes, the difference there is between outputting a string of characters
and a single character, the faulty metrics are more obvious in the
latter case, since they affect every character individually.