[h-e-w] Searching on Windows (find, grep, and indexed search)

From: Scott Jaderholm
Subject: [h-e-w] Searching on Windows (find, grep, and indexed search)
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:26:50 -0600

Hi Emacs users,

First of all, thanks to everyone who's helped to make EmacsW32 a very
nice distribution.

I'm looking for a simple, interactive way to do four basic types of
searches from within Emacs on Windows.

Search:
1 - directory for file named "string"
2 - directory for file containing "string"
3 - file for lines containing "string"
4 - and replace all occurrences of "string" in files in directory

>From the results buffer I would like to be able to press a keystroke
and go directly to the file and in #2 and #3 go to the line. Showing
file details in #1 would be nice.

I think that find-dired will do #1, but I get a long list of file not
found errors on what appear to be parameters. I think it is
find-ls-option that I need to set but I don't know what to set it to.

I notice that EmacsW32 comes with find and grep in C:\Program
Files\Emacs\EmacsW32\gnuwin32\bin. Do I just need to add that
directory to my path or do I also need to change some variables?

I'm running Emacs 22.0.95.1.

I also think find-grep-dired will do #2, but again I get a bunch of
file not found errors on parameters.

How can #3 be done without opening the file first?

#4 can probably be done with dired, but it probably requires working
find and grep like the above. If there's a better way than dired to do
this I'd love to know.

Additionally, has anyone been able to link search in Emacs into some
cached local search engine like Windows search index?

Thanks,
Scott