RE: [h-e-w] organizing files into a project

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] organizing files into a project
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:56:20 -0800

> I want to define a group of Python files that I am editting to be a
> project so that it is easy to open and browse them all in one shot.  I
> guess this wouldn't be so different from the existing desktop (thought
> it might have some additional features), but I want to be able to
> easily define many of these projects.  Does something like this
> already exist?  A few minutes of googling didn't turn anything up.

In Icicles, you can define a named set of files (or even named regions
within files) and reuse that set later. You can have any number of such
sets. The sets can be persistent. Call such a set a "project", if you like.

The files in a set need not be in the same directory or have anything
particular in common. There are many ways you can define a set, including
regexp matching, selecting files individually, and using set operations
(union, complement, intersection, difference).

When you reuse a set, you can act on one or more of its files individually,
or you can act on all of them at once.

The basic idea is that when you use completion, the possible completion
candidates constitute a set. Icicles lets you fine-tune such a set, save it,
and reuse it later. The elements of such a set of completions need not be
file names; they can be anything.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_Candidate_Sets
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_File-Name_Input
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_Persistent_Completions