[h-e-w] Emacs 22.1 Installation on Windows XP

From: Ramu Iyer (Point B Solutions Group LLP)
Subject: [h-e-w] Emacs 22.1 Installation on Windows XP
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:30:11 -0800

I am attempting to install Emacs 22.1 on Windows XP. I downloaded and unpacked the binary zip file. Thereafter I invoked runemacs.exe. The Emacs editor comes up; however, I find that I when I do a “dired”, the cursor does not seem to recognize “~” or do the appropriate auto-completion for file or folder location.

My goal is to have Emacs 22.1 automatically recognize my home directory upon start up so that I can begin using “org-mode”.

Thanks,

Ramu