Re: [h-e-w] Windows Emacs 22.1 does not start if called from cygwin bash

From: Reiner Hammer
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Windows Emacs 22.1 does not start if called from cygwin bash
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 00:58:34 +0200

Great - this was it!

Jason Rumney wrote on 03.05.2008 22:59:
Reiner Hammer wrote:

Here's the simple script (where various parts were alternatingly commented out during these tests):
   #!/bin/sh -x
   edir="C:\Programme\Emacs\emacs-22.1"
\ is an escape character in /bin/sh scripts. Either use /, or double up your backslashes.

I had checked the substitution with the -x option, and \ was preserved as regular character, not an escape, by the double quotes, since \ precedes only normal characters (not $, \, ', ", newline) in this string. But you are right, it would have been safer to use either single quotes or no quotes at all but double the \.

The problem might have to do with dynamic libraries, as suggested in another mail by Eli.
Yes, that is likely. Copy the correct (non-cygwin) image DLLs in the emacs-22.1/bin directory, as that will be the first place Emacs looks for them before checking the PATH. If you don't know where your image libraries are and need to search for them, the potential names can be found by C-h v image-library-alist in a running copy of Emacs 22.1. Once you have found one, the others will most likely be in the same directory. Most likely it isthe xpm library that is causing the problem, since Emacs uses xpm toolbar icons and splash screen when it first starts up.

Exactly this was the problem. I copied the libraries over from a recent Windows version of The Gimp; and now everything works as expected - both when I start emacs with a script and when I start it via a symlink.

Thanks so much for your help! -Reiner