Re: [h-e-w] Re: EmacsW32: Emacsw32_080512 + TRAMP + max-lisp-eval-depth

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: EmacsW32: Emacsw32_080512 + TRAMP + max-lisp-eval-depth error
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 02:01:40 +0200

Nelson,

There is another ftp program that comes with Emacs+EmacsW32. I included that in the package because I could not get the ftp program that comes with MS Windows to work reliably for me.

Maybe you can test both? The one that comes with Emacs+EmacsW32 will be the default if you use the patched version.

(But at the moment my website is down. I will try to fix that tomorrow.)

Ingersoll, Nelson wrote:
Michael,
   I discovered the FTP information using ProcessExplorer.  The qualifiers are
the default sent by TRAMP/Ange-FTP.

   I am having a significant FTP problem which is troubling me.  My test bed
has consisted of five systems.  They are Tru64 4.0d, SunOS 5.8, Redhat
Enterprise (Linux ent 2.4.26), and OpenVMS 7.3.  All tests consist of placing a
text file on the host system and attempting to edit it from my WinXP SP2 system
using Emacs.  Currently I've been testing GNU Emacs 22.2.1 and EmacsW32
(Emacs-23-CvsU080515-EmacsW32-1.58).  The Redhat system has been, regards Emacs
TRAMP/FTP, very troublesome.

   At the moment I strongly suspect TRAMP (or something closely connected with
it) is at fault; however, inconsistency in the way FTP transfer is working
between the systems makes me stop and think maybe not.  As a result I will
become quiet until I can get a better handle on the issues I'm seeing.  This
way I won't tire you and, hopefully, I'll be able to provide a more coherent
report.

- Nelson