Re: [h-e-w] Please help with install problem : elisp stuff not found

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Please help with install problem : elisp stuff not found
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 13:51:58 +0300

> From: "Ronald Fischer" <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 12:32:40 +0200
>
> I downloaded emacs-22.2-bin-i386.zip and unpacked it to a directory
> (C:\prog\gnu_emacs).
> When I double-click on emacs.exe, I get the error message which you can
> see on the
> screenshot at this web page:
>
>   http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/408/mwsnapscreenshot006ws3.jpg
>
> As advised by the message, I read README.W32 and found there the
> following surprising
> sentence:
>
>   " Along with this file should be six subdirectories (bin, etc, info,
>   lisp, lock, site-lisp)"
>
> This is certainly not the case: The zip file contains all files flat, no
> directories.

No, it doesn't.  Which program did you use to unpack the zip archive?
I'm guessing that you need to use another program, or set the options
of the one you use to preserve the zip archive's directory structure.

> Next I observed that emacs looks for the el files in a certain search
> path, which
> does not exist on my system (i.e. C:\emacs etc.), so my guess is that
> one has to
> set some environment variable to denote the emacs base directory.

If you install Emacs preserving the directory structure that is in the
zip archive, all these complications don't apply: Emacs will
automatically find the files it needs starting from where emacs.exe
resides.