Re: [h-e-w] Rant on speed and stability problems with EmacsW32.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Rant on speed and stability problems with EmacsW32.
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:04:14 +0300

> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 09:56:52 -0400
> From: "Nicolas Buduroi" <address@hidden>
>
> I really can think of any reason for such slowness. We're talking
> about 20+ years old software guys!!! On a modern machine it should
> start up nearly instantly.

I'm sorry for your trouble, but please note that EmacsW32 is
development code, not an officially released version of Emacs.  At
different points in the development cycle, it is quite possible that
changes are committed to the repository that slow down Emacs.  That's
the risk you take when you want to use the bleeding edge.

You may have better luck with the official version 22.2 released a few
months ago.  It is available from the GNU FTP site.

> I'll try the Cygwin version for now...

I urge you to search the Cygwin list for relevant information before
you make that decision: AFAIK, the Cygwin version suffers from serious
stability issues (which is not surprising, given that no one stepped
forward to maintain it and actively participate in Emacs development).