[h-e-w] Re: cygwin shell inside emacs, CDPATH, and autocomplete

From: Scott Plumlee
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: cygwin shell inside emacs, CDPATH, and autocomplete
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 08:25:04 -0400

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 6:27 PM, Scott Plumlee <address@hidden> wrote:
> Any ideas appreciated. Running emacsw32 on Windows XP.  If I change to
> a particular directory by hand, with multiple cd commands, Emacs and
> the shell correctly autocomplete when I try to cd to a child
> directory.
>
> However, if I have set CDPATH in my .bashrc file, I can do a single cd
> command to jump to the same directory.  When I then try to cd to a
> child directory, Emacs and the shell tell me that there are no
> completions.  If I type the directory name out, I can cd there just
> fine.
>
> Run cygwin by itself, autocomplete is fine.  Only when it's inside emacs.
>
> It seems that Emacs doesn't realize I've changed directories when it's
> via a path in CDPATH.
>
> Anyone have any experience with this?

Finally figured it out, apologies for the noise.  Setting the CDPATH
variable in .bashrc does not seem to let emacs pick it up correctly.
Setting it in .emacs/_emacs or another file loaded on startup (in my
case, settings for cygwin-mount.el) like this: (setenv "CDPATH"
(concat "d:/some/path;~;.;" (getenv "CDPATH"))) works correctly.  It
also makes opening files default to the same location that the shell
is currently visiting, rather than HOME (if I haven't opened any other
files) which seems a little more intuitive.