Re: [h-e-w] Display the cjk ext b characters using precompiled ntemacs23

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Display the cjk ext b characters using precompiled ntemacs23-bin-20070819.
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:28:06 +0100

hongyi.zhao wrote:

>>> I've downloaded the Emacs-23-CvsP080630-EmacsW32-1.58 from the above url,
>>> the issue is still *not sloved*.
>> I've just noticed that CJK Ext B is outside the Unicode BMP, so requires
>> surrogates to be used with Windows internal UTF-16 encoding. Currently
>> the Windows font backends do not support surrogates.
>>

> But I can use other editors, say, ultraedit, to diaplay all of these
> characters under windows, why?

Because those editors handle surrogate pairs. The development version of
Emacs that you are using is a work in progress, and dealing with
surrogates was marked as a TODO while more important work was done. I've
just checked in changes to deal with them, though it is untested. If you
build from CVS now, then you can help with testing, otherwise you'll
need to wait until the next build of EmacsW32 to test them.