RE: [h-e-w] Cygwin and Emacs on Vista

From: Phil Betts
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Cygwin and Emacs on Vista
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 17:50:00 +0100

1arrybarnett wrote on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 10:28 PM::

> dsyzling wrote:
>>
>> Scott Fordin wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I can't get Emacs to work on Cygwin on Vista. Xemacs works
>>> just fine, but Emacs doesn't. When I try to launch Emacs in
>>> GUI mode from an xterm, the shell just hangs. When I try to
>>> launch it in console mode from a non-X bash shell, the shell
>>> just hangs. Again, Xemacs works; it's only Emacs that doesn't
>>> work. Running emacs-nox doesn't help. I've also tried using
>>> the -d and -nw options, but no joy.
>>>
>>> I'm running Cygwin on Windows Vista Home Premium SP1, as
>>> follows:
>>>
>>>    $ uname -a
>>>    CYGWIN_NT-6.0 balance 1.5.25(0.156/4/2) 2008-04-17 12:11 i686
>>> Cygwin
>>>
>>> The version of Emacs I'm using is one that came with the
>>> Cygwin distribution, and is version 21.2.1.
>>
>> Not just me then, same problem here fails on Vista and Windows Server
>> 2008. I have 21.2.1 running fine within a Windows XP virtual machine
>> though, so something specifically about the Vista kernel version.
>>
>> I've yet to try later builds to see if this cures the problem - i.e.
>> 23.3.
>>

>> Darren
>>

> Scott, unless there is some reason you need to run Emacs under
> cygwin, you can download a native Win32 build from GNU at
> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/. I've been using it for years
> and it works fine.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Larry

Could this be the problem with rebasing and ncurses?  Several people on
the cygwin list have found that after installing emacs, you need to do
this:

First, run rebaseall
Then, using setup.exe, reinstall libncurses7 (because you don't want the

ncurses DLL to be rebased).

If that doesn't work, try searching the cygwin mailing list archives at
http://www.cygwin.com/ml

Phil