Re: [h-e-w] HOME value for Portable Emacs

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] HOME value for Portable Emacs
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 21:17:07 +0800

Henri Fischer wrote:
My portable Emacs has "C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/Application Data/" as HOME. Since my USB is used on different clients, I would like my portable Emacs to get .emacs from one of its own folders. Is this possible? And if so, how?

Create a directory called site-lisp alongside your emacs directory. The hierarchy should look like this:

...../emacs/bin
...../emacs/lisp
...../site-lisp

It can also go inside the emacs directory, but it will make upgrading Emacs easier if you keep them separate.

In that directory create a file called site-start.el with the following contents:

;; Only if it looks like we're running on Windows
(if (and invocation-directory
    (eq (string-match "[a-zA-Z]:" invocation-directory) 0))
   (let ((drive (substring invocation-directory 0 1)))
     (setenv "HOME" (concat drive ":/home"))))

If that doesn't work, you may need to set user-init-file back to "~/.emacs.d/init.el" or "~/.emacs" (either will work in current versions), as Emacs may have already worked out where the init file should be by this point.