Re: [h-e-w] How to full pathname in modeline

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] How to full pathname in modeline
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 23:24:38 +0800

address@hidden wrote:
Is there any relevance in the use of setq-default vs. setq?

In this case, no. I suspect the use of setq-default comes from a cut and paste of setting mode-line-format, which is a buffer-local variable, so setq-default is required to set a default value - setq overrides the value for the current buffer only.

I tried to re-order the second solution as follows, but it just
displays an "@" in the title bar:

(setq frame-title-format
'(invocation-name "@" system-name " - " (buffer-file-name "%f" (dired-directory dired-directory "%b"))))

The first element in the list is a symbol, which according to the doc string for mode-line-format (referenced from frame-title-format) causes the list to be treated as a conditional:
ie at runtime it acts like this:
(if invocation-name
   "@"
 system-name " - " ...)

To get what you expected, you need to make the first element of the list a string:

(setq frame-title-format
   '("" invocation-name "@" system-name " - " ...))

So far all my emacs tweaks have been made through the customisation
buffers, with a little help from rtfm.  Am I right in thinking that
frame-title-format cannot be set via any of the customisation buffers?

Thanks for all your help.

Bernie.