Re: [h-e-w] naming .emacs in Win 7

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] naming .emacs in Win 7
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 21:21:34 +0100

> I'm a brand-new Win 7 user. Previously have used Emacs on Win XP with no
> problems. In Win 7, I seem unable to create a file in c:\ named ".emacs".
> The OS refuses to recognize this as a valid filename. What should I do?

Write the initialization code in a new buffer (for example,
*scratch*), and save it to ~/.emacs (i.e., do C-x C-f ~/.emacs <RET>).

Emacs will not write it to C:\, but to
C:/Users/YourUserName/AppData/Roaming/.emacs, which is the directory
pointed to by the variable %APPDATA%. In absence of a HOME variable,
this is the  place Emacs uses as user data directory on Windows.

    Juanma