Re: [h-e-w] naming .emacs in Win 7

From: Michael M Mason
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] naming .emacs in Win 7
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 21:40:13 -0000

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:26:35 -0000, Michael Mossey <address@hidden> wrote:

I'm a brand-new Win 7 user. Previously have used Emacs on Win XP with no problems. In Win 7, I seem unable to create a file in c:\ named ".emacs". The OS refuses to recognize this as a valid filename. What should I do?

Under Windows 7 (and Vista) it has deliberately been made very difficult
to create a file in the root of the C: drive.  If you really, really
want your .emacs to live there, you'll need to create it somewhere else
first (for example in your Documents folder), then copy it into C:\, and
then you'll need to change the permissions.  And even then I think you'll
have problems when you edit the .emacs file as Emacs won't be able to
create a backup file (because you can't create files in C:\).

It'd be a lot easier to define a HOME directory!

--
Michael