[h-e-w] Re: Emacs failing to start

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: Emacs failing to start
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 15:37:15 +0000

On Wed 17 Mar 2010, Troy Daniels wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 8:57 AM, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Troy Daniels <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > It looks like it's hung in some system call, trying to load a resource.
>> >
>> > Any more ideas?
>>
>> Do you have a network drive (that is currently unavailable) in your PATH?
>>
>> Windows could be waiting for a network timeout to during its search
>> for a DLL.
>>

> No.  The only network drives are available, and they aren't in my PATH
> anyway.

A few ideas:

1) What is in your environment before running emacs ?
   If it contains emacs_dir or any of the LANG variables then emacs
   could get confused. Knowing what is in your PATH would be useful too.

2) What anti-virus software are you using ?
   Cygwin have a list of problematic tools (search the Cygwin list for
   BLODA) and its possible that emacs is giving a false positive.

Once you get emacs working ok directly from Windows, use
"cygstart ./runemacs" from a Cygwin shell.

   AndyM