Re: [h-e-w] Emacs failing to start

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs failing to start
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:17:52 +0200

> From: Troy Daniels <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 08:32:33 -0400
>
> $ gdb --pid=2316
> GNU gdb 6.8.0.20080328-cvs (cygwin-special)
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.htm=

> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
> and "show warranty" for details.
> This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin".
> [...]
> (gdb) backtrace
> #0  0x7c90e514 in ntdll!LdrAccessResource ()
>    from /c/WINDOWS/system32/ntdll.dll
> #1  0x7c90df5a in ntdll!ZwWaitForSingleObject ()
>    from /c/WINDOWS/system32/ntdll.dll
> #2  0x7c8025db in WaitForSingleObjectEx ()
>    from /c/WINDOWS/system32/kernel32.dll
> #3  0x00000769 in ?? ()
> #4  0x00000000 in ?? ()

This is a Cygwin build of (a rather old version of) GDB, whereas Emacs
is a native Windows program.  I would suggest to download the latest
GDB binary available from the MinGW site (at least 7.0), and try with
it.  It might show a more meaningful backtrace, even when Emacs is
stuck in a system call.

> Any more ideas?

What happens if you run it under GDB to begin with -- does it also
hang when you type "run" at the GDB prompt?  If it does, perhaps step
through the `main' function and see where it hangs.