Re: [h-e-w] apply patch from *Article* buffer

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] apply patch from *Article* buffer
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 16:52:04 +0300

> From: Sean Sieger <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 08:41:46 -0400
>
> I'm trying to use `ediff-patch-file' to apply a patch from an *Article*
> buffer in Gnus to two files (well, three) in emacs-23.1.95/lib-src and
> in the first session it fails.

Did you remember to specify --binary switch to Patch, and also force
unix EOLs for the patch text?

I don't use `ediff-patch-file', but when I patch files from diffs that
I have in Emacs, I do this:

 C-x RET c unix RET M-| patch --binary -d /path/to/emacs/tree -p0 RET

(The argument to -d and the "-p0" part need sometimes tweaking if the
diffs were not produced from the top-level directory of the Emacs
tree.)

You need --binary and Unix EOLs because the files you are patching
have Unix EOLs, and the GnuWin32 port of Patch will fail unless the
EOL formats match.

HTH