RE: [h-e-w] Re: Changing frame font

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Re: Changing frame font
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 15:46:22 -0700

> > (defun fix-broken-emacs-23 ()
> > "Command to replace bug introduced into emacs 23"
> > (interactive)
> > (set-face-attribute 'default (selected-frame) :font
> > "Consolas-10.5"))
>
> Well, that is not all there is to it.  Consolas-10.5 is one
> font, but that is probably not what I want.  One would need a
> command that reads the font name from the minibuffer,
> provides a completion list etc.  The nice thing about the
> "Set Font" menu item was that it just used the Windows
> dialogue box with a familiar menu of font names and sizes.

1. I agree with you that that is not all there is to it.

2. But I did show you how to set the size of the default face, without worrying
about which font is used:

(set-face-attribute 'default (selected-frame) :height 100)

That is, instead of specifying the size only in a font string that also
specifies the font family etc., just use the :height attribute.

3. You might want to file an Emacs bug for this feature removal. If the
developers do not hear from users it is easy for them to believe that no one
cares much about frame-specific faces. If this matters to you, let them know.