[h-e-w] Re: Emacs 23.2.94 pretest

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: Emacs 23.2.94 pretest
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 19:59:57 +0200

> From: Uday S Reddy <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 17:36:40 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Unfortunately I don't yet know how to get core dumps on Windows.  I
> would appreciate tips on how to obtain a core dump.

You can't, not with the native Windows build, anyway.

One way of reporting more info would be to run Emacs under GDB.  You
can download a Windows port of GDB from the MinGW site.  Then, when
Emacs crashes, you can walk the call stack and show us what you see.

Another way is to install DrMinGW, a JIT debugger that will allow you
to produce a backtrace when Emacs crashes.  You can find the
instructions here:

   http://code.google.com/p/jrfonseca/wiki/DrMingw

Given that the precompiled binaries were built with optimizations, I
expect difficulties in interpreting the backtraces and anything GDB
will report, so the useful next step (after you find out what can be
found with these binaries) would be to try running an unoptimized
build.

FWIW, I have yet to see even a single crash in Emacs 23.2.94, but then
I don't use VM.