Re: [h-e-w] Instructions for upgrading GNU Emacs on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Instructions for upgrading GNU Emacs on Windows
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 20:33:53 +0200

> Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 08:39:04 -0700
> From: "Kraai, Matt" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I install Emacs to C:\Program Files\emacs-VERSION.  When I upgrade to a
> new version, I have to make some changes to correct paths that include
> the previous version.  Would you please include instructions in the FAQ
> for how to upgrade?  Or is it better to install Emacs in a
> version-invariant directory?

I use the latter.  Emacs is always installed in some X:\foo\emacs.
When a new version comes, I rename the old X:\foo\emacs to
X:\foo\emacs-XX.YY (according to its version), unpack the new version
and rename its top-level directory into X:\foo\emacs.  Later I remove
the old emacs-XX.YY when enough new versions have come my way.

This makes things much easier: I don't need to modify Path, the
desktop shortcuts, the registry, and generally everything Just Works.